Vernon Hills – Illinois
The land that was to become Vernon Hills, founded by Richard Theodore Freese, Ron Freese, and Jim Carswell, began with the establishment of a 200-acre (0.81The land that was to become Vernon Slopes, established by Richard Theodore Freese, Ron Freese, and Jim Carswell, started with the foundation of a 200-section of land (0.81 km2) ranch in 1857. Utilization of the land remained moderately static until the 1960s.
When piece of it was bought for a private local area and green; the improvement was the principal utilization of the name “Vernon Slopes.” On June 16, 1958, the town formally consolidated with 123 occupants and 125 houses in a solitary development worked by Quinn Hogan and Barney Loeb. During these occasions, the town and police division were run from a nearby inn until 1971 when town trustees purchased two versatile buildings.
It saw consistent yet sluggish development until the attaching of a plot of land close to the edge of IL-60 and IL-21 out of 1971, which prompted the structure of 1,200,000-square-foot (110,000 m2) Hawthorn Center. By 1980, the town’s populace had developed to very nearly 10,000 inhabitants, and by 2000, it had outperformed 20,000.
Through the 1980s and 1990s, the town became geologically through the addition of encompassing regions. This included land that would turn into the Corporate Woods business park and Centennial Intersection private turn of events (1986), a 1,200-section of land (4.9 km2) segment of Hawthorne-Mellody Homesteads (1988), and part of the town of Half Day (1994). In 2000, the town procured land that had a place at various occasions to the U.S.A rmed force as
a rocket base, the U.S. Naval force as a maritime instructional hub, and the Curtiss Candy Organization; it was changed over to what is currently the 184-section of land (0.74 km2) Vernon Slopes Athletic km2) farm in 1857. Use of the land remained relatively static until the 1960s, when part of it was purchased for a residential community and golf course; the development was the first use of the name “Vernon Hills.”
On June 16, 1958, the village officially incorporated with 123 residents and 125 houses in a single subdivision built by Quinn Hogan and Barney Loeb. During these times, the village and police department were run from a local motel until 1971 when village trustees bought two portable buildings
it saw steady but slow growth until the annexing of a plot of land near the corner of IL-60 and IL-21 in 1971, which led to the building of 1,200,000-square-foot (110,000 m2) Hawthorn Center. By 1980, the village’s population had grown to almost 10,000 residents, and by 2000, it had surpassed 20,000.
Through the 1980s and 1990s, the village grew geographically through the annexation of surrounding areas. This included land that would become the Corporate Woods business park and Centennial Crossing residential development (1986), a 1,200-acre (4.9 km2) section of Hawthorne-Mellody Farms (1988), and part of the village of Half Day (1994).
In 2000, the village acquired land that had belonged at different times to the U.S. Army as a Nike missile base, the U.S. Navy as a naval training center, and the Curtiss Candy Company; it was converted to what is now the 184-acre (0.74 km2) Vernon Hills Athletic
Incorporated as village
June 16, 1958
• Mayor : Roger Byrne
• Land : 7.74 sq mi (20.05 km2)
• Water : 0.20 sq mi (0.53 km2)
•Total : 7.94 sq mi (20.58 km2)
Population : (2010)
• Total : 25,113
• Estimate (2019) : 26,521
• 3,426.04/sq mi
• Time zone : UTC-6 (CST)
• Summer (DST) : UTC-5 (CDT)
ZIP Code(s) : 60061
Area code(s) : 847 & 224
FIPS code : 17-77694
Per capita income : $40,411 (2010)
Home value : $352,300 (2010)
One thought on “Vernon Hills – Illinois”
Wow I didn’t know all of this about the town. What a nice story to read. Great Job
Comments are closed.